Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Made This: Blackberry Cobbler

In the midst of a crazy week, long work days sandwiched in between an earthquake and a hurricane, I felt like I needed some order, so I decided to bake. Baking, I fully admit, is a work in process talent. I fight against the exactness of if, but I also find comfort in it.  No guessing, just obedience, the simple assurance that if you follow the rules, you will get a sweet reward. And sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to do. 


There are millions of things to bake, but nothing sounded better than blackberry cobbler.  


So at 10pm last night, when I should of been getting ready for bed, I instead pre-hearted the oven, and pulled out the mixing bowls. 


This cobbler wasn’t just a random food thought popping into my head. Lately, I have been thinking about the uncle and aunt that raised my father.  Sure, they had their quirks, but they also lived some pretty amazing stories.  A couple times when I was a kid and we lived in California we would travel up the coast to the tiny Oregon town that my dad grew up in for a visit  On one such trip I remember picking blackberries and bringing them home to Aunt Millie which she made into a warm for the soul cobbler. Now that this sweet couple have both finished their sojourn here on earth, I treasure that memory of sitting in their tiny kitchen, with a warm bowl of dessert and hearing stories of times gone by.  




Add a side scoop of vanilla ice cream and you got the perfect comfort food and for an hour or so, or until the next warning/alert crawls along the tv screen, order is restored in the universe. 


Post Script:  Did you know that it is called cobbler because the top crust is suppose to look like a cobblestone street?  



1 comment :

  1. I probably should stop reading your blog on Fast Sundays, late at night and when I've had a long yet uneventful week. It always makes me feel like I'm not doing enough...eating, baking, reading, listening to music, blogging, photo taking, experiencing life. Time to re-evaluate and set some goals!(and make me some cobbler!!!)

    ReplyDelete