Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Finding Meaning in Life and Tacos.

Sometimes I sit and ponder about the meaning of life. Why am I here? What is the purpose of my existence? Am I really doing any good in the world? 

Then I introduce the British intern at work to the concept of Taco Tuesdays and the clouds break, the seas recede and angels sing. I should be an ambassador. 

And less you think that Taco Tuesdays are out of a box, plain Jane affairs at out house, last night I made Chickpea Tacos*. Basically, you use seasoned, roasted chickpeas instead of meat. Chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans, but that just sounds awkward to me, like I am cooking up a Muppet for dinner or something. I love chickpeas. I could probably write an ode to them.  I eat them plain, in salads, and in more hummus and falafel than a human probably should. 

Add a little fresh lettuce from the backyard garden (it survived Irene!), tomatoes and a ripe avocado, and you got a dinner worth wearing your fancy pants for. 


Someday I will eat dinner when there is still natural light pouring through my kitchen window.

*I used the recipe from The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, which includes a recipe for homemade taco seasoning, which I prefer to store brands. This cookbook and the blog/website are currently my go to resource for quick meals, and when you don't come home until exactly 12 hours after you left that morning, you need quick meals. 

No comments :

Post a Comment