Monday, July 18, 2011

Song of the Week: The Clash

The other day while I was exiting the Metro a gentleman, probably in his 50s dressed in khaki pants and a polo shirt stopped me, "You look a little too young to be listening to The Clash." It caught me off guard. I looked down at the iPod in my hand and sure enough the very distinctive London Calling album cover was displaying on my handheld glowing screen. With a smile I answered, "I look a lot younger than I am, and is anyone really too young or too old to be listening to The Clash."  "Good point," he answered back and we parted ways on the platform.

Whenever people ask me about music I usually bring up The Clash to gauge their reaction so I know where this conversation is going. If they know The Clash, then we can really talk about music. If  not well, it might be a short conversation.   They don't even really have to like them, just knowing about these fellas from across the pond is a good starting place. I think that it is really unfair to ask anyone their favorite bands or favorite songs, there is just too much out there. Tastes grow and stretch, one band leads to another, different times in your life need different soundtracks. But the Clash has been a pretty common melody with me ever since I discovered them as a teenager who could never really fit in.  Then I discovered that not fitting in can be one of the most beautiful of all things.

White Man (In Hammersmith Palais) by The Clash

No comments :

Post a Comment