Saturday, July 9, 2011

Friday Nights with Wilco

Last night I had a long list of things to do, ranging from going to a new Alexander Calder exhibit to unpacking  and lugging down to the basement a suitcase, that I will just have to bring up and pack again in a couple weeks.  But all these things felt like things that I should do instead of things I wanted to (I do love AC, don't get me wrong), and Friday nights should be exempt from To do lists, right? Right.

So I tore up my list.

I made homemade ice cream sandwiches, watched I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (and swooned every time Jeff Tweedy sang with his eyes closed), sipped icy cranberry and tangerine juice through a neon green straw and step over the above mentioned suitcase 47 times.

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart is a documentary about the making of Wilco's 2002 album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Fantastic album, by the way.  The film was directed by Sam Jones, who is best known for his photography. I loved that he filmed in black and white, it gives the documentary a raw and gritty feeling. I am so inspired by watching people develop and work through their own creative process. This viewing also shows the good and the bad of living your dreams. Sometimes you have to part ways with friends, or band mates in this case, sometimes people let you down, sometimes you are rejected and dumped from your label hours after you give them the album you just poured  your heart into. And sometimes you make poetry with a guitar and a harmonica.

I also realized that I have completely under valued, Wilco's drummer, Glen Kotche. Holy cow, watch that guy on the skins.

Sadly, I haven't seen Wilco live since 2006, but I have most of their albums (new album out in September!!), so there are plenty of late night karaoke style concerts in our house.

See and believe:
Wilco-I Am Trying to Break Your Heart:


Jeff Tweedy sings Woody Guthrie:


Jeff Tweedy sings Beyonce:

Jeff Tweedy sings the phone book:
just kidding.

No comments :

Post a Comment