Friday, July 1, 2011

Local Travels: Penn Quarter Farmers' Market

Tonight on my way home I stopped at the Penn Quarter Farmers' Market. This market, in its present form, has been around for almost 10 years, but historically this neighborhood housed the Center Market, which was built in 1871. For well over 100 years Washingtonians have been coming down to 7th and Pennsylvania NW to shop for local farm fresh. 




I love walking downtown in the early evening. Street musicians are playing on the corners, people are chatting on patio bistros and restaurants have their doors wide open filling the city air with delightful smells. The work day is over and we can, at last, return to our real selves on our own time.


This particular market is pretty small, especially if you wander in half an hour before closing time. But I came looking for cheese and 3 out of the about dozen stalls were from local dairy farms. Actually talking to the people that grow and make your food is pretty magical, in a We are the World type of way.  After much internal deliberation I bought mozzarella from Blue Ridge Dairy Company  and marble sheep cheese from Everona Dairy. I used the mozzarella in my Strawberry and Leek Quesadilla and well, the sheep cheese barely made it home. 




Support your local farmers!

1 comment :

  1. So delish! I love that market! And those empanadas? Crack. Pure and simple.

    ReplyDelete