Thursday, June 23, 2011

Local Travels: NPR

I was recently invited to take a tour of NPR, that's National Public Radio for those that use words. I half expected there to be soft jazz playing the elevators, but alas, tis not so. But my dreams were realized when I saw THE Tiny Desk. I was *this* close to embarrassing myself.



My postcard, NPR's image

Never heard of The Tiny Desk? Are we even friends? For the series, singers, song writers, musical groups, etc. come and perform live at the (tiny) desk of All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen. Best podcast ever. I was filled with envy (and probably at least 4 other deadly sins) as my tour host listed all the marvous, magical performances that he had seen. By the time he got to recounting meeting Glen Hansard, I didn’t know if I wanted to marry him or stab him in the eye. That day I vowed to spend more time at Busboys and Poets, the nearby hip eatery, easy access to both Tiny Concert performers AND sweet potato fries.

Personal recommendations:
If you are feeling:
A little bit folksy: Kopecky Family Band
A little bit awesomeThe Low Anthem
A little bit like a British Art School student:  Fanfarlo*
A little bit like starting a band with ALL your friends: Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes
A little bit like falling in love with a bearded Irishman: The Swell Season 
A little bit like a soul sister: Adele
A little bit like an adorable Swedish fella: The Tallest Man on Earth
A little bit like a hipster in smart glasses: The Decemeberists
A little bit like a running away and joining a gypsy circus: Gogol Bordello

For a complete list of all who have been on, click your little mouse here. 

* I have a story about why I love each and every one of these bands, but I'll share just one. A couple of years ago, I was on a trip with a group of friends on a tiny, tiny island, you could walk across it in 20 minutes. One night I couldn't sleep and ended up listening to Fanfarlo's album on repeat, the entire night. To this day I will still randomly dream about their music.

No comments :

Post a Comment