Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Growing

One of the advantages of living a little bit out of the city is that I can afford to live in a house with a backyard. Summers are spent menu planning for cook outs, barefoot moon gazing and getting dirt under my fingernails in the garden.  There are large tomatoes and squash plants in a small plot along the back fence, but my pride is my herbs that I grow in terra cotta planters outside the kitchen windows.  Do I check up on them in the morning and evenings? Yes. Do I maybe play Bob Dylan music for them on weekends. Maybe yes.
My first picture taken with my new fancy pants Instagram app!

Gardening, growing things, even if it is just basil to satisfy your pesto addiction, brings a simplicity to life that seems to be distance and lost these days. I work in an environment when immediate results are the thing. People walk and talk fast because they have important things to do and places to be and for survival you have to keep. But seeds and dirt and growing takes time.

A seed is the overused metaphor, without thinking too hard I can think of a half a dozen poems or pieces of prose that deal with seeds and plants sprouting forth and other plant like things. It is easy to philosophize about a tiny little thing like a seed and how it can grow into something beautiful and delicious and nourishing. It fights through the dirt to spring forth, battles scorching temperatures and wild thunderstorms, and in the wilds of my backyard; crazy squirrels, possums, and not so cute evil rabbits.  A late night BBQ did teach us that bocce ball matches in the dark tend to scare off creatures for a while.

And  maybe it serves as inspiration so often because of nature’s availability, it’s constantness, and its ability to teach us about the order of the things, birth, growth, death, time, patience, stillness.

Recent creations made with garden flare:

Cilantro Pesto with fresh cilantro and homemade pasta from Eastern Market

Pine Nut and  Fresh Rosemary Shortbread

Tomato soup topped with fresh dill, chives, and thyme

Corn Cakes made with fresh basil atop fresh fancy lettuce
Avocado Salsa
Cilantro Lime Rice with fresh cilantro

1 comment :

  1. Yay for gardens! I love everything you've written here. And I love that I get to hear about you more often. :)

    ReplyDelete